mardi 24 février 2015

How does SIOS Data Keeper make consistent backups?


We are looking to change our DR solution to get our RTO and RPO as close to 0 as possible. We have around 80 DBs on SQL 2012 sp2 that come to about 1TB in total including log files. I will still be using native full/log backups no matter what.


I have seen some articles for a product named Data Keeper from SIOS that allows an admin to create a SQL-Server cluster without the use of a SAN.


technical documentation here


The first issue I'm unsure about is if a large transaction was running when the snap happened then would that have to be rolled back on the replica when brought online? If so that would increase the RTO.


Also it seems to replicate data at the block level which rings alarm bells for me as I can't understand how it manages to be 100% sure its replica DBs are in a consistent state. I could understand if it used VSS but it doesn't seem to.


Is there something I'm missing that makes this possible? It would also be useful to hear the thoughts of anyone who has used the product in production.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire