jeudi 26 février 2015

Will dropping text column on SQL Server 2014 lock the table?


I have been tasked to drop a text column from a production SQL Server 2014 table.


The table contains 61,683,821 records.


Question: will dropping the column lock the table (or cause similar disruptions)?


Bonus question: one procedure references the column (the column does not allow nulls - so, on insert we are using an empty string). Can I wrap the ALTER TABLE and ALTER PROCEDURE in a single transaction without issues? (that is, alter the table and remove the reference from the procedure).


Thanks... I'm the developer, not the dba... why they want me to do this, I don't know :(


Update I can answer the first question. The DROP was instant and caused no problems. I chose not to use a transaction.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire