mercredi 28 janvier 2015

Alternative to RDBMS: Modeling Exam/Testing data


I'm a born and bred relational database guy and C# programmer dude. IBM DB2 & VB.Net in school. TSQL & C# at work.


I'm planning a project for fun: Designing a Testing platform that goes from DB through application/website.


When you think of "Exam" or "Test" Questions/Answers, there are many question types:


Question Types


I want:



  • Test (ex: Comptia A+)

  • Classification of question (This question meets objective or domain X of test Y. Test Y needs 3 questions for domain X.)

  • Multiple question types (not necessarily limited to those in the picture above)

  • Notes about correct/incorrect answers (This is why ___ is correct. Reference link here.))

  • History/reversioning


I know I can do all of this in Sql Server, but I don't feel as if it would be the most efficient choice. I can't bring myself to like options that come to mind: Tables per question type. EAV tables. Embedded data structures of some sort.


I've never felt the need to learn "NoSQL" and was wondering if there are any "platforms" that would be a stronger candidate for this than TSQL? Or should I stick to what I know and do what it takes to make it work in a traditional RDBMS?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire