lundi 1 décembre 2014

How to find an application for a specific system?


I have a distributed storage platform that I wanted to test. I launched a benchmark (i.e. IOzone) over it, given the following workload:




  • I/O size = 4kB,




  • 100% read, and 100% write,




  • random access.




It returns the accumulated number of IOPS handled by the storage platform as the workload increases.


I am now looking for database applications that can fit the performance provided by this platform. I experienced difficulties to find information about it for different reasons:




  1. I do not understand all the database mechanisms (e.g. access pattern, query translation, ...)




  2. People usually do the inverse process: "having an application, which platform should I buy?".




  3. Applications or storage providers gives some IOPS requirements without making the size of their I/Os explicit. Such numbers have thus no sense (see "Estimating IOPS performance needed").




What could be a solution for my problem would be to find an application dealing with random 4 kB I/O (only reads or only writes) on which it would be possible to estimate a number of IOPS to run correctly. Then increasing the number of services, users or files, the type of queries in the storage system would increase the required IOPS (maybe more parameters might be involved).


Does it make sense?





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire